If you are returning to driving on Seattle’s roads, remember the chance of being in a car crash will rise as the number of vehicles on the road increases once more.
Sometimes, it does not matter how carefully you drive; another driver can cause a collision that you can do nothing about. If you are in a car crash in the Seattle area, you need to do the following:
- Check to see if anyone is injured: If someone is injured, you need to call 911. If there is property damage greater than $1000, you also need to call 911.
- If there are no injuries, move the car off the road: Do not move it if there have been injuries, but otherwise do if you can do so safely. Providing, of course, you can move it. Getting the car to the side of the road will make it safer for anyone involved in the crash and other drivers.
- Exchange details with the other driver: Give your insurance and contact details to the other party and get theirs.
- If the police were not called, report it online: Washington State Police has an online form.
- Call your insurance company: You need to call your insurance company straight away and give them the details to register your claim.
There is one final step you may need if you get injured in a Seattle car accident or if your vehicle was damaged. You may want to call an attorney as you will be facing costs you had not planned. While you might expect an insurance company to pay you what you need, often, you need to hire an attorney to make sure they do.