On Sunday morning, three people were injured when a can of Pam cooking spray fell into a deep fryer causing an explosion at the Speedway Café in Mukilteo. The injured patrons were transported to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for treatment, and their condition remains unknown. The restaurant remains closed today, and a sign on the door indicates it will reopen on Tuesday.
I'm not an expert on lithium-ion batteries, but I'm starting to notice a trend. Whether we're talking about laptops, cellphones, hoverboards, e-cigarettes or other devices, when fires and explosions take place, it seems that it's usually not the device itself, but the battery that is the cause. Click on the image for a useful infographic on battery safety.