Here To Help You Get Life

Back On Track


Hit by a Canadian driver in Washington – Who can help?

On Behalf of | Jan 31, 2017 | Car Accidents |

Border.jpgAs a border state, Washington has a high level of interaction with British Columbia, Canada. Canadian trucking companies routinely travel on Washington highways, and Canadian drivers come to Washington for recreation and business. But Canadian laws regarding liability and car insurance are very different than Washington laws. What happens when you are hit by a Canadian driver here in Washington? And what happens if you are a visiting Canadian hit by a Washington driver? Who can help you?

In both situations, you need a qualified, properly licensed personal injury attorney practicing in Washington.

If you are a Washingtonian hit by a Canadian on Washington roads, Washington law applies to the crash. By using Washington’s roads, the Canadian driver submits to the jurisdiction of our Courts, and his insurance company will negotiate with your lawyer. Most Canadian residents of British Columbia are insured by Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), the government auto insurer. When you hire a Washington personal injury attorney, he or she will contact ICBC and attempt to negotiate a settlement on your behalf. If an agreement cannot be reached, you can file a lawsuit against the Canadian driver, whether a commercial truck driver or a private citizen and seek a judgment in Washington Courts.

Likewise, if you are a Canadian who is hit by a Washingtonian while driving on Washington roads, you also need a Washington personal injury lawyer. Even though you are Canadian, if the crash happened on U.S. soil, it is subject to U.S. law and must be resolved with a U.S. attorney. In this situation, it doesn’t matter if the injured person is American or Canadian, the process and the remedies are exactly the same.

The bottom line is if you are injured in any kind of motor vehicle accident on Washington roads, regardless of the nationality of the parties, your claim is subject to Washington law and you would be well served to consult with a qualified Washington personal injury lawyer like the lawyers at the Law Offices of Matthew D. Dubin.