Here To Help You Get Life

Back On Track


Uninsured Motorist Coverage – Protect Yourself

On Behalf of | Jul 19, 2015 | Car Accidents |

uninsured.jpgWhile your liability coverage pays for the damages you cause, it does not do anything to help you when you are injured by someone else. Once that person’s liability coverage is exhausted, or if he doesn’t have insurance, you are out of luck unless you have purchased uninsured/underinsured coverage as part of your own auto insurance.

This type of coverage is specifically designed to pay for your damages when the person who caused the accident is uninsured or underinsured. This is not a no-fault coverage, so you still need to prove that the person who caused the accident was negligent, and that your injuries were caused by that negligence, and your insurance company will often fight you on that. But if you can prove those things, then the coverage is there to compensate you for your losses.

The interesting thing about UM/UIM coverage is that your insurance acts as if it is the liability insurance for the person who caused the accident. That means it will use all of the tactics the other driver’s insurance would use: denying fault for the accident, blaming your injuries on something else, and arguing that your treatment was excessive. Your insurance company has no loyalty to you, even if you’ve been paying the same company monthly premiums for years. If you are asking it for money, you are its adversary, and it will aggressively work to minimize your recovery.

You are usually not allowed to purchase UM/UIM coverage with a higher limit than your liability coverage, which is another reason you should always have more than the minimum required by law. A limit of $25,000 may seem like a lot, but with a serious injury, you could have medical bills in excess of $25,000 within days or even hours. With so many uninsured and underinsured drivers on the road, you owe it to yourself and your family to make sure you are adequately covered. I recommend paying a little more for at least $100,000/$300,000 coverage for both liability and UM/UIM. This amount will be adequate to cover all but the most catastrophic claims, and it will protect you if you suffer a serious injury. If you can afford more, consider getting as much as you can afford. If you get hurt, you’ll be glad you did.

For more information about uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, general questions about auto insurance, or anything about personal injury claims, check out our website or give us a call.

It’s just that easy.