Here To Help You Get Life

Back On Track


Bicyclist Hit By a Car – “Who Will Pay My Medical Bills?”

On Behalf of | Oct 1, 2013 | Auto-Pedestrian Accidents |

When you are a bicyclist who has been hit by a car, figuring out who should pay for your medical bills can be confusing.  Often, consulting with a personal injury attorney who has experience handling bicycle cases can make the process easier.

This video addresses the various options for getting your bills paid after you have been hit by a car while riding your bike.

The first and best option is the driver’s personal injury protection or PIP coverage.  PIP is a no-fault medical payment coverage.  In Washington, it usually has a limit of either $10,000 or $35,000.  Unlike health insurance, PIP has no deductible or co-pay, and you are generally not required to get referrals or see “in-network” providers.  As long as the treatment is reasonable, medically necessary and causally related to the accident, PIP should pay.

If the driver does not have PIP coverage, but you do, your coverage through your auto insurance becomes primary.  That means they have the first obligation to pay accident-related bills.

If neither you nor the driver has PIP coverage, then the next option is your regular health insurance.  Health insurance has limitations such as deductibles and co-pays, and they may require you to show that there is no other insurance available to cover the bills. However, once you make this required showing, your health insurance should pay your accident-related bills up to the limits of your coverage.

Finally, if there is no PIP and no health insurance, you will need to find a provider who will treat you on a lien.  That means they will provide treatment and hold your balance until the conclusion of your case.  Often if you have a strong case and you are represented by an experienced personal injury attorney, you can find a qualified doctor to treat you on a lien.

Finding the right treatment after a bicycle accident and making sure the right people are paying for it can be stressful and confusing.  If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident, your best bet is to consult with a qualified personal injury attorney with extensive experience handling bicycle cases.

Feel free to check out our website for more information, and if you have any questions, give us a call. We’d love to hear from you.